Tuesday, May 1, 2012

No Bull, Just Brand Vol. 2


Dior was probably my first great makeup love.  I'd certainly enjoyed cosmetics since I was too young to do more than watch my mother and girl cousins apply hers and used many brands before Dior such as Clinique, Almay, Revlon, Covergirl, etc.  But there was something about getting my first Dior 5-Colour Eyeshadow Palette in it's sleek sapphire-hued compact with it's buttery shadows felt both incredibly decadent and sophisticated.  Like wearing your first real cashmere sweater.

That being said, I don't think of myself as a person who is too influenced by how a brand is perceived.  For example, I don't understand people's obsession with Louis Vuitton at all.  Why would I pay $$$$ for a boring brown handbag?  Why would I pay someone to advertise for them?!  I understand that they are nice in the sense that they are handmade and premium leather but so are many, if not all, other designer purses.  But I digress…

My point is that "designer" doesn't impress me.  Quality and creativity do and that's always been my experience with Dior.  Also, great service is a very big issue with me and I've never had a bad experience with this brand.  But mostly it's been how happy I still am with Dior products after I take them home, days after the afterglow and counter makeover is gone.  No buyer's remorse, despite the considerable price.  That is not to say that the products are perfect.  I think that Dior should put  something like a miniature brush into their palettes rather than those basically useless sponge applicators for example.

Just to further clarify, I'll probably never purchase a Dior nail polish as I have a hard and fast rule about paying over $20 for a polish.  Same goes for their lipsticks or glosses but I've been (or in the case of the shadow palettes, still am) the happy owner of their Skinflash Radiance Booster Pen in Candle Light, three of the 5-Colour Eyeshadow Palettes in 441 Garden Pastels, 470 Spring Bouquet and 259 Electric Lights, and DiorShow Black Out Mascara, among others.  And while most of my makeup is composed of other brands I tend to cherish my Dior.  In fact, in lieu of getting Urban Decay's Naked 2 palette, I am holding out for a new Dior one instead.  (And some of their skincare products.)  Well, enough gushing.  Have a wonderful day and treat yourself by going to a Dior counter!

Can't beat that packaging!

Obviously my palettes are well-loved ;-p

The first and still my favorite!

I just remembered that I kinda "borrowed" this one from my mother...

No comments:

Post a Comment